We're delighted to announce that there have been a number of recent sporting achievements amongst the ESMS community to recognise.
Three ESMS Former Pupils have been selected to represent their country in the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia this April. FP Colin Dalgleish (SMC, 2012) has been chosen for the Scottish Table Tennis Team, joining FPs Lynsey Sharp (MES, 2008) and Jake Wightman (SMC, 2008) who have been selected to compete in the 800m and 1500m respectively with the Scottish Athletics Team.
Meanwhile George Turner (SMC, 2010) was named as a member of the Scotland Rugby squad in the Nat West Six Nations Tournament, before an unfortunate knee injury ruled him out of playing, while First XV Captain 15/16 Jamie Hodgson and Ross Thompson, last year's First XV Captain, were both confirmed as members of the Scotland U20s squad for the Six Nations and will be starting in the squad for their upcoming clash against France.
Back at school, Caitlin Dodds who works with our caterers, Inspire Catering, recently found out that she has been selected to represent the GB Golf Team at the 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games, taking place in Abu Dhabi next year.
With the Hockey season well underway, a source of inspiration for our young hockey players will no doubt be former First XI Hockey Captain Amy Costello (MES, 2016), who was recently selected for the first time to represent Great Britain and face Argentina in a Test Series this month.
We are also delighted to report that no less than 14 ESMS hockey players have been selected for the U16 and U18 National teams, or to take part in the Scottish Hockey Academy. This is an outstanding number of players to have been selected and Head of Hockey at Stewart’s Melville College, Mr Brogdon, who is also Scottish Hockey’s U18 Boys’ Head Coach, said that the achievement builds on the growth and overall standard of hockey in the school in recent years.
Well done to the following pupils:
- Ellie Mackenzie (4T), Ellie Rutherford (3T), Grace Drummond (4G), Nina Constable (4G) and Sophie Atherton (2T) who were selected for the U16 National Squad
- Olivia Bell (5K) who will play with the U18 National Squad
- Niamh M Ritchie (S6) who was selected for the U18 National Academy
- Murray Constable (S5) and Luke Morris (S4) who will play in the National Academy
- Cameron Bosi (S4), Cameron Ede (S4) and Jamie Croll (S3) will play in the U16 National Squad and Academy
- Alex Riddell (S5) and Robbie Croll (S6) who are in the U18 National Squad and Academy
It is fantastic to celebrate so many achievements within our community and we wish everyone the best of luck in their upcoming endeavours.