We are sure that families will be just as excited as we are to have the Great British Bake Off back on our tellies. Both our teaching staff and pupils are big fans of the show, so much so that we host our very own staff MES Bake Off competition every year, the highlights of which our pupils always enjoy!
In honour of this event, we are delighted to share our 2019 winning Bake-Off recipe from Kerry Stenabaugh, who teaches Modern Languages at MES, for her delicious Chocolate and Raspberry fudge cake.
We hope families have fun baking it together!
263g self-raising flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
225g caster sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
3 large eggs
225ml sunflower oil
225ml semi-skimmed milk
280g icing sugar
50g cocoa powder
3 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (fan). Grease and line base of 3 sandwich tins.
2. Sieve the self-raising flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Add the caster sugar and mix well.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the golden syrup, eggs, sunflower oil and milk. Beat well until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture evenly into the tins and bake for 25-30mins. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
5. To make the butter icing, beat the butter in a bowl until soft.
6. Gradually sieve and beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Add enough milk to make the icing fluffy and spreadable.
7. To build the cake, cover the top of the first sponge layer with a generous serving of raspberry jam. Then cover that with a layer of the chocolate icing. Place the second layer of sponge on top.
8. Repeat step 7 with the final layer of sponge.
9. With the remaining butter icing, coat the top and sides of the cake and smooth out.
10. Decorate the cake with the fresh raspberries and anything else you like.