Our Nursery is set in extensive grounds and was rated "Excellent" in all categories included in the most recent Care Inspectorate Report.
Why choose the ESMS Nursery?
- Qualified Nursery teachers in every class and specialist teachers for Music and PE with a staff to child ratio of 1:5 and low staff turnover.
- Modern, purpose built Nursery facilities in our £1m Early Years Centre.
- Largest outdoor play space of any Nursery in Edinburgh.
- Flexible, wraparound childcare with Early Birds and Extended Day available from 7.45am to 6pm.
- The vast majority of our nursery children move on into Primary 1 with no formal assessment
We believe it is never too early to inspire a child’s curious mind. This is why each of our preschool classes is led by a qualified Nursery teacher, assisted by two Nursery Nurses and Teacher Assistants. Together they create a stimulating and supportive atmosphere in which our girls and boys learn through play.
Nursery Entry Points
- Two entry points at age three and four
- Our youngest children are taught separately in the Snowdrop room
If children join us in the Snowdrop room, their typical day starts with free play and then moves on to more structured learning, often through play. They also have additional scheduled lessons throughout the week in PE, Dance and Music in the care of specialist subject teachers. Each child who joins ESMS at three years of age benefits greatly from the social interaction our Nursery affords them as well as being able to develop their confidence in their specialist classes.
Children who join at the age of four also benefit from scheduled lessons taught by specialist teachers and quickly feel comfortable in our Nursery and start to identify with their class.
Early Learning and Childcare Partner Provider
We are an Early Learning and Childcare Partner Provider for City of Edinburgh Council. Parents of pupils in the Nursery who are eligible for the Early Learning and Childcare Grant will receive a maximum of £2160 paid in termly instalments, depending on the child's date of birth.
Find out about Nursery Admissions.